Calgary winters are known for their beauty but also challenge homeowners, particularly when protecting your roof from the elements. Snow, ice, and freezing temperatures can take a toll on your residential roofing in Calgary if you’re not adequately prepared. Check out these essential steps to winterize your roof to ensure it remains durable and dependable throughout the cold season.
#1: Roof Inspection For Residential Roofing in Calgary
Before winter arrives, a thorough roof inspection is your first line of defence. Here’s what to look for:
- Missing or Damaged Shingles: Inspect your roof for any missing, cracked, or damaged shingles. These vulnerable areas can lead to leaks when exposed to winter precipitation.
- Flashing and Seals: Pay close attention to the flashing around roof penetrations like vents, chimneys, and skylights. Ensure that seals are intact to prevent water infiltration.
- Gutters and Downspouts: Clean gutters and downspouts to prevent ice dams from forming. Check for any blockages and ensure they are securely attached to the roofline.
- Attic Inspection: Don’t forget to inspect your attic for signs of moisture, such as water stains, mould, or mildew. Proper attic ventilation is crucial to prevent condensation and ice buildup.
#2: Residential Roofing in Calgary Must Be Cleaned
Leaves, debris, and moss can accumulate on your roof over time. A clean roof is less prone to ice dams and water damage. Consider the following:
- Roof Sweeping: Use a roof broom or leaf blower to remove leaves, pine needles, and debris from your roof. These can trap moisture and accelerate the deterioration of roofing materials.
- Moss Removal: If you notice moss or algae growth, consider having your roof professionally cleaned and treated to prevent further damage. Moss can trap moisture and lead to shingle deterioration.
#3: Check Insulation & Ventilation
Proper insulation and ventilation play a significant role in maintaining a healthy and energy-efficient roof during the winter:
- Insulation: Ensure your attic is adequately insulated to prevent heat loss. Proper insulation helps maintain a consistent temperature in the attic, reducing the risk of ice dams.
- Ventilation: Adequate attic ventilation is crucial to prevent moisture buildup. Proper airflow helps regulate temperature and humidity, preventing condensation and ice formation.
#4: Trim Overhanging Branches
The presence of overhanging tree branches near your roof can be a potential hazard, particularly during winter storms. Here’s an explanation of why it’s important to trim these branches:
Risk of Damage
Strong winter winds, heavy snow, and ice accumulation can make tree branches brittle and more likely to break. When overhanging branches are laden with snow or ice, they can become even heavier. If left untrimmed, these branches may snap under the weight, potentially falling onto your roof.
Falling branches can cause various forms of damage to your roof. They may puncture or tear roofing materials, dislodge shingles, or create openings where water can infiltrate. This damage can lead to leaks, water intrusion, and structural issues.
Besides roof damage, falling branches can clog your gutters with debris like leaves and twigs. Blocked gutters can hinder drainage of rainwater and melted snow, potentially leading to ice dams and water damage to your roof and home’s interior.
#5: Ice and Snow Removal
Calgary’s winter can bring significant snowfall, and snow accumulation on your roof can be problematic. Here are some guidelines for safe snow removal:
- Safety First: Safety should be the top priority when removing snow from your roof. Consider hiring a professional if you’re unsure about safety procedures.
- Use a Roof Rake: A roof rake with a long telescoping handle can remove snow from the ground. It is a safer option than climbing onto the roof.
- Avoid Salt and Chemicals: Avoid using salt or chemicals to melt ice on your roof, as they can damage shingles and the underlying structure.
- Professional Help: If you have a significant snow buildup or ice dams, consider hiring a professional roofing company experienced in snow removal.
#6: Maintain Downspouts and Extensions
Ensure that downspouts are clear of debris and functioning correctly. Downspout extensions can help direct water away from your foundation, preventing potential water damage and ice buildup.
Here’s a breakdown of why this is important:
Preventing Water Damage
When debris, such as leaves, twigs, or dirt, clogs the downspouts, it obstructs water flow from the gutters. It can result in water overflowing from the gutters, potentially causing damage to your home’s exterior, siding, windows, and even the foundation.
Your home’s foundation is one of its most critical structural elements. Excess water from clogged or poorly functioning downspouts pools around the foundation can seep into the foundation walls, leading to cracks, leaks, and even structural damage over time.
Ice Buildup Prevention
In colder climates like Calgary, where winters are harsh, water runoff from your roof can freeze if not properly directed away from your home. It can create ice dams, which can damage your roof and gutters and lead to the formation of icicles, posing safety hazards.
#7: Emergency Preparedness For Residential Roofing in Calgary
In the event of a severe winter storm or roof damage, it’s essential to be prepared:
- Emergency Kit: Prepare an emergency kit that includes flashlights, blankets, non-perishable food, and water.
- Contact Information: Keep contact information readily available for roofing professionals and emergency services.
- Insurance: Review your homeowner’s insurance policy to understand your coverage for winter-related roof damage.
Preparing Residential Roofing in Calgary For Winter
Winterizing your residential roofing in Calgary is crucial in protecting your home and ensuring a safe and comfortable winter season. By following these comprehensive tips and strategies, you can prepare your roof for the challenges of winter and enjoy peace of mind throughout the season. Your home will remain warm and cozy while your roof stands strong against the winter’s embrace.
H&J Roofing is a Calgary roofing company you can trust for good old-fashioned craftsmanship & service. With over 20 years of experience, we’re the Calgary roofing contractors you can trust. From fixing eavestrough in Calgary to more complex roofing repair in Calgary, our approach to residential roofing in Calgary is to protect your biggest investment – your home. We ensure this by offering top-quality roofing materials at competitive prices by carrying Hardie board in Calgary. As proud Hardie board suppliers in Calgary, we’re the go-to siding company in Calgary for strengthening people’s homes. Whether you need a sloped or flat roofer in Calgary for roof replacement, contact us for a free quote at (587) 433-9746 or [email protected].